There are way more than five things I love about mysteries, whether I’m reading them, writing them, or real life mysteries getting solved.
- In fictional mysteries, there’s always at least one murder of a person several people had reason to kill.
- When I write a mystery story or novel, I have to create a puzzle, then solve it. Even if it’s not a traditional puzzle mystery. Someone has to die and people have to have reasons, and someone has to figure out who killed the victim(s).
- The satisfaction I feel as a reader when I get to the very end of the book and I’m still not quite sure who the killer is.
- Finding out the book I’m reading is one of a series. More to come!
- Falling in love with fictional detectives. I’m a sucker, a sap, a dreamer. I love a good brain, especially in a flawed human.
Here’s the latest on my thriller: I hired an editor, I got the edits back this morning. I have a bit more writing to do, and my editor helped me find the places where it’s needed. Did I mention it’s set in Kansas City? They got some crazy little women there ….